welcome.

the image on top is "Welcome Home Sweet Sugar" by Kelsey Brooks

Monday, January 10, 2011

Mystic Fitness

I've been to Mystic several times, but I've yet to give it the attention it deserves.

First, a bit of history. I used to practice at the Tae Kwon Do center right nearby, many, many years ago, when it was under different ownership. So when I enter the area, I get a burst of nostalgia and an Pavlovian sense of focus, strength and peace.

Mystic is full of positive quotes, and beautiful, beautiful yoga pictures. The decor is gorgeous, comforting yoga studio, the instructors are bright-eyed, enthusiastic and entertaining. My first class I took was a Bikram, with Joe, and it was an excellent class. Joe is a compassionate instructor, empathetic and enthused, and well loved by his students and community.

Occasionally, Bikram is a marvelous way for me to quiet my mind. I've never quite fallen in love with Bikram (though I've spent much time analyzing the practice: including panopticism, purity, perfection, radical self-acceptance, obedience, standardization, heat, hatha yoga and spine articulation).

Hot vinyasa, however, is a passion of mine. So Amy's Monday rockin vinyasa is going to be a part of my weekly routine. Amy is a marathon runner. She tells a harrowing tale about how she ran a half-marathon in Florida, as a prelude to a full marathon the next day. The story harrows only the listener. Amy tells it with a smile.

Her energy and determination charges her students, much like Jeanne Magazu's equally merciless and merciful Baptiste classes in Cambridge. Amy's facial expression, the way she dips down, bending her elbows, expressing energetic emphasis with her hands. Her voice resonates with a strong belief in the power of the body and the power of her students. These factors all create the sort of vibrancy that only happens in hot vinyasa. This sense that your body is limitless, that it is smooth and flowing, that it extends infinitely outward in every direction, touching every corner of the room.

It's sweaty heaven, including a lot of humble warrior, one legged chaturanga (three-limbed staff pose?) and a knee to the chest after each flow. The mirrors, which usually distract me, turned out to be a powerful tool for alignment and I found out that, actually, my side plank looks a lot better than I thought it did. Hot yoga always creates that "Oh my god, I did not know my body could do that" sensation, accompanied by "Look at me go!" and "I can do anything!!!".

It's like trading your toxins for endorphins, a pure mind and body, and flowing energy channels. It's love.