welcome.

the image on top is "Welcome Home Sweet Sugar" by Kelsey Brooks

Monday, January 31, 2011

Masaaki

Usually, the first thing I do when I walk into a hot yoga class is ask where the warmest spot in the room is. Usually, I barely break a sweat.

Masaaki Okamura's class was the hottest yoga class I think I've ever taken. Ever. At least since YTTP- I really thought no one heated their studio the way Greg Gumaccio did.

So wrong about that. Masaaki's class is packed, and with that, of course, comes the collective consciousness that aids one on the path to clarity. Seriously, did I mention it was hot? Was it just me? It was a very Baptiste-style flow, lots and lots of Sun A's and B's :). I liked the corework at the end, too. Pidgeon was quite a surprise, I hadn't expected it that late!

One of my favorite moments in Masaaki's class was his comment about how yoga enables you to step away from all the people that you have to be (mother, daughter, boss, employee, student, teacher, etc) and just, for a moment, be. That was why I fell in love with yoga and I crave that sensation when I step on the mat still.

So. Hot class. Hot studio! Hot Yoga and Pilates, Needham and Wellesley : )