welcome.

the image on top is "Welcome Home Sweet Sugar" by Kelsey Brooks

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chanel Luck

I found yoga Down Under.

That's not a poorly executed pun, it's a studio. And a brilliant one at that.

If one could read the underlying current at Down Under it would sound something like this: genuine respect for students, love between instructors, joy for the practice and my favorite: community. They started in 2004, and now have master teachers that including Patricia Walden and Shiva Rea.

I had intended to take an Iyengar class (their Iyengar program was very strong), but the temptation to take a "Flow 2/3" class was overwhelming.

...and so worth it. I love vinyasa. I really, really do. I took Chanel Luck's class and it was everything I love about vinyasa: dynamic, fluid, challenging and inspirational and soothing all at once. I felt incredibly comfortable in her presence (which may explain why I flipped/fell over so frequently....I have the greatest Falls Per Class ratio of any yoga student I have ever met!). There were a bunch of poses I loved, too, that I normally don't work on.

1. Lizard pose with dynamic movement, and reaching forward with the right arm and bringing it to the side- the effect is the the shoulder is above the kneed. If one had the balance, they could even move into a bind.

2. This low lunge...not anjaneyasana....it's when you're in a lunge similar to the ones you would do in gym class....I will have to ask about it tomorrow, and I'll update this post then.

3. Another gym-class reminiscent pose. I actually heard a teacher call it just that...when you cross your feet and bend forward. I noticed a greater possibility to activate the bandas and pull one's navel in, allowing a more powerful forward bend.

4. Playing with one-legged crow.

It was a perfect class. I would have wished only for a longer savasanah, and that I can do only own afterwards :)