welcome.

the image on top is "Welcome Home Sweet Sugar" by Kelsey Brooks

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Bikram Yoga Williamsburg

I'm not what some might call a "Bikram person". I don't really like the practice all that much, and I have a range of conceptual defenses as to why*.

To give the practice some credit though, I do think the concept of confronting yourself in the mirror, watching yourself work and react- all brilliant.

Sometimes, I just need bikram. Just to remember who I am.

All day long you gather hints of random judgment that makes you wonder about what kind of person you are. It's exhilarating to really see yourself (or as close as one can come to seeing oneself), especially to see yourself and how you respond under extremely stressful conditions.

I liked the Williamsburg studio for it's people, but I didn't like it for it's smell. And this is nothing personal- it's just that hot carpeted rooms full of years of sweat have a tendency to mushroom. As in, smell like mushrooms. So unless the carpet is specially designed against stink, it will.

The community was really warm and inviting, though, which I appreciated a lot.






*There's no hip openers, it's strict and stringent format makes me feel powerless, I'm not interested in what someone else can make me do, I'm interested in what I can do on my own. Plus, for some reason, I usually feel lonely when I leave class.