welcome.

the image on top is "Welcome Home Sweet Sugar" by Kelsey Brooks

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Strength to Overcome

           The Hanuman Chalisa is an epic poem of devotion that makes me feel like I can do anything.

           Absolutely anything.

           Nothing is too frustrating, trying or hopeless when the chalisa is playing. It flicks on some internal power switch in my heart while simultaneously removing despair static.

           Hanuman, also known as "The Monkey God" is a Hindu deity that symbolizes strength, courage, devotion and my favorite quality, grace. In the words of Krishna Das, Hanuman represents the "strength to overcome all obstructions, all problems...anything that's in the way of us accomplishing our goals...and of course our ultimate goal is to open our hearts."

           It is said that reciting the poem brings great strength, the full verse by verse benefits outlined here.

Here's a few of my favorite renditions of the Chalisa....

1. I heard this one last summer (the very first time I heard about the hanuman chalisa). It's probably still my favorite.

2. You may not know this about him, but artist Trevor Hall is a fantastic kirtan singer.

 

3. Krishna Das has several versions of the chalisa, but this one on the album "Gate of Sweet Nectar" sounds so very hopeful and joyous. I recommend buying the mp3 because the sound quality is worth it.