welcome.

the image on top is "Welcome Home Sweet Sugar" by Kelsey Brooks

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Jo Flaherty

I cannot think of a better way to start a Friday night than at Jo Flaherty's 5:30 at Down Under.

Right away, we started class on a creative note: a stretch for the hand that involved taking one's palm in what I like to call "spider man pose" and taking one finger at a time and bending it away. Learning a new thing right away is a great way to get me right in the flow of things, and- I'm trying out this phrase- turning the "being present" switch on*.

*... is that too dorky?

We moved into an intense and intelligent vinyasa sequence that rolled through variations on crescent lunge, and all the fun sun sals and side planks, to Jo's wise advice and excellent taste in music. She had that ability to hold the space very well- frequently yoga is spoken of as "creating and dissolving sacred space" (in the words of Richard Freeman). When an instructor focuses on doing this, the practitioner can indeed tell.

Ease in attitude led the transition into side arm balances. Jo held poses patiently, much longer than most vinyasa I've experienced in this area, and I felt really inspired by that. There was the element of conscious creativity: sequencing to target opening in places one might ordinarily miss, while a strong dedication to 'sitting' in a pose. Having to fully come into being (instead of receding into the transitions) brings out stronger elements in me, and the next Friday I'm out on the town, I'm starting here : )